Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
From the book "Cooks Library: Pasta & Italian" which I got off of Freecycle.org from a lady moving to India.
- 2 eggplants, sliced lengthwise into 1/8 inch thick strips
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 1 1⁄2 mozzarella cheese, grated
- fresh basil leaf, torn
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the eggplant slices in a colander or on a plate and sprinkle liberally with salt. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to extract the bitter juices. Turn the slices over and repeat. Rinse thoroughly under cold running water and drain on paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the garlic. Add the eggplant slices a few at a time and pan-fry lightly on both sides over medium heat. Drain them on paper towels.
- Spread the pesto on one side of the eggplant slices. Top with the grated mozzarella and sprinkle with the torn basil leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Roll up the slices and secure with wooden toothpicks.
- Lightly brush an ovenproof dish with a little olive oil and arrange the eggplant rolls in it. Place in a preheated oven, 350 degrees F, and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant rolls to a warmed serving plate. Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and serve immediately.