1/1 Photo of Eggplant Roll-Ups With Roasted Tomato Sauce
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This is one of those recipes I have had to give up since marrying a non-eggplant-eater and having two non-eggplant eating children. It is a lovely company vegetarian main dish. More or less like a lasagna roll-up made with eggplant instead of noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half and seeded (2 2/3 lbs)
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 2.46 ml salt
- 78.07 ml minced fresh basil
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggplants (about 9-inch long each)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 283.49 g package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 236.59 ml ricotta cheese
- 118.29 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 295.73 ml shredded swiss cheese (Gruyere is best)
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F Toss tomatoes with salt and 1T olive oil. Place, cut sides down, on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until skins are blistered.
- 3Put tomatoes, 2 T olive oil, basil and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside tomato sauce.
- 4Preheat oven to 425°F Trim off cap and stem of the eggplants so that it looks more or less like a tube with flat ends. Cut the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4" thick slices (roughly rectangular or oval in shape, NOT round). Spray both sides of the eggplant slices with cooking spray. Arrange slices (about 18) on nonstick baking sheets. Bake slices for 10 minutes; turn and bake for 5-10 minutes more or until tender. Cool.
- 5Preheat oven to 350°F Combine spinach, ricotta, and parmesan, and mix well. Spray a 9x13" baking dish with nonstick spray. Spread spinach mixture evenly on eggplant slices and roll up slices starting at the narrow end. Place rolls, seam side down, in the baking dish.
- 6Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- 7Uncover, sprinkle with swiss cheese, and bake an additional five minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- 8Serve topped with the tomato sauce.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Roll-Ups With Roasted Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (488 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.3
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.4 mg
- Sodium 671.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 28.7 g