Nice comfort food from Everyday with Rachel Ray. I love eggplant and it provides a meaty taste without the meat. Of course it can be made in under 30 minutes. The Raviolini are tiny pillows of ravioli and I buy mine at my local Trader Joe's. Zaar didn't accept the raviolini as an ingredient so I had to list the ingredient as plain ravioli (but you should use the tiny ones).
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 eggplant, half the skin peeled to make stripes and the flesh chopped into 1/4 inch cubes
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 lb ravioli
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for topping
- In a small soup pot, melt the butter and the olive oil over medium heat. Turn the pan and coat its surface. Add the eggplant and garlic and season with salt and pepper and cook until softened about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the raviolini and cook until tender 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the basil.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with cheese.