Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Recipe is from Sunrise Beach is Still Cooking, Cooking from Texas Hills and Lakes compiled by the Ladies Auxiliary of Sunrise Beach Volunteer Fire Department and credited to Janis Williams. Quick to fix on the stovetop. I'm sure it's meant to be a side dish, but I enjoyed it as a main dish, too. Original recipe called for 1/4 cup oil. If using fresh tomatoes, thinly slice them.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml oil
- 113.39 g canchopped green chilies
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes or 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large eggplants, unpeeled, cut in 1-inch cubes or 6 medium zucchini or 6 medium yellow squash, sliced
- 4.92 ml salt
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 236.59 ml grated cheddar cheese
- Cook onion in oil until soft.
- Add all ingredients except cheese and cook until done, about 20-30 minutes.
- Top hot dish with cheese before serving.
Oh, yeah ... REALLY enjoyed this!! I used both regular chili powder and some chipotle chili powder, but otherwise followed the recipe. Served with Tex-Mex Pork Chops (#26229) and steamed Calrose rice. Delicious meal to come home to!! Thanks for sharing!
This is a nice different way to make eggplant. I made this using the eggplant, but I'm quite certain it would be just as great with any and all of the squashes listed. I'll make this again; especially when the summer squashes are overproducing. Thanx!