Recipe by Katzen
I am really not a fan of eggplant - unless it's done this way! I found this recipe ten years ago, but haven't made it in a long time. My organic box had an eggplant in it this week, so I had to make it again. I made it with my own spin this time, marinating the tomatoes in a red wine/olive oil/fresh basil vinaigrette, and it was better than ever!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced and salted
- 4 large potatoes, sliced
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, chopped
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or more)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried chili (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice and salt eggplant, and allow to sit for an hour. Rinse salt off.
- Chop tomatoes, and combine with garlic, basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and chilies. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Spread some tomatoes in the bottom of a 9 x 13" casserole dish. Layer eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes, and finish with the last of the tomatoes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Top with Parmesan, and bake for 15 more minutes.