Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I am really not a fan of eggplant - unless it's done this way! I found this recipe ten years ago, but haven't made it in a long time. My organic box had an eggplant in it this week, so I had to make it again. I made it with my own spin this time, marinating the tomatoes in a red wine/olive oil/fresh basil vinaigrette, and it was better than ever!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced and salted
- 4 large potatoes, sliced
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, chopped
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or more)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried chili (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Slice and salt eggplant, and allow to sit for an hour. Rinse salt off.
- Chop tomatoes, and combine with garlic, basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and chilies. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Spread some tomatoes in the bottom of a 9 x 13" casserole dish. Layer eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes, and finish with the last of the tomatoes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Top with Parmesan, and bake for 15 more minutes.
Seriously lacking flavor. The next day I took the remained and brushed with melted garlic and olive oil, that was some help
*Reviewed during ZWT5 Family Picks Australia for the Chow Hounds Team* I quite enjoyed this dish and even managed to have one of my daughters eat eggplant! I think if I make this dish again that I would slice the eggplant a little thinner so that it cooked into the other veges more. The parm cheese on the top browned up nicely and was a great addition. I loved the fresh tomatoes in this recipe and that there were no canned sauces used. Served with recipe#373238. Photo also to be posted.
We love eggplant here this was really tasty. Topped it off for the last 15 minutes with 1/8 cup and a handful of fresh mozzerella. :) Thanks for posting Katzen. Made for ZWT 5.