Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I am really not a fan of eggplant - unless it's done this way! I found this recipe ten years ago, but haven't made it in a long time. My organic box had an eggplant in it this week, so I had to make it again. I made it with my own spin this time, marinating the tomatoes in a red wine/olive oil/fresh basil vinaigrette, and it was better than ever!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced and salted
- 4 large potatoes, sliced
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, chopped
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or more)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried chili (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Slice and salt eggplant, and allow to sit for an hour. Rinse salt off.
- Chop tomatoes, and combine with garlic, basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and chilies. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Spread some tomatoes in the bottom of a 9 x 13" casserole dish. Layer eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes, and finish with the last of the tomatoes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Top with Parmesan, and bake for 15 more minutes.
Seriously lacking flavor. The next day I took the remained and brushed with melted garlic and olive oil, that was some help
*Reviewed during ZWT5 Family Picks Australia for the Chow Hounds Team* I quite enjoyed this dish and even managed to have one of my daughters eat eggplant! I think if I make this dish again that I would slice the eggplant a little thinner so that it cooked into the other veges more. The parm cheese on the top browned up nicely and was a great addition. I loved the fresh tomatoes in this recipe and that there were no canned sauces used. Served with Chicken Breasts and Tarragon En Papillote (France). Photo also to be posted.
We love eggplant here this was really tasty. Topped it off for the last 15 minutes with 1/8 cup and a handful of fresh mozzerella. :) Thanks for posting Katzen. Made for ZWT 5.