Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
This is my take on a tried and true recipe with some changes. It's delicious and would go great with some home made pasta. I doubled the recipe because we love this sort of dish.
- 1 large eggplant (cut in 1/2-inch circles)
- salt (I used the course kind)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup milk (I used soy)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce (I used home made Pomodoro)
- 1⁄2 cup cheese (I used Vegan Mozzarella)
- 1⁄3 cup grated cheese (Parmesan or Romano is good)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450'F.
- Put the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- Arrange the eggplant on a large baking pan and brush both sides with oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until golden brown and tender, about 25 minutes.
- Turn and rotate the slices half way through the cooking process.
- FOR THE SAUCE:.
- Whisk 1/4 cup of the milk, with the flour and garlic. Put in a saucepan and then gradually add the rest of the milk and 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. It should be pink. Cook until it thickens up. About 2-3 minutes should do it.
- Spread the sauce on the bottom of a shallow 2 quart baking dish. Alternate the layers of the sauce and cooked eggplant.
- Put the rest of the sauce on top, sprinkle with the cheeses and bake on upper rack until brown and bubbly. This should take 10-15 minutes.
- I added some Italian bread crumbs on top of the cheese because I like how crunchy it gets.
- Bon Appetit!