Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I created this recipe to use an eggplant and zucchini that I had just bought, then decided to add some pinto beans I'd previously cooked. I am posting it here to keep track of the recipe for myself. It may need to be modified and I will update it if I do. This is a very low sodium recipe, unless you use canned pinto beans.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use olive)
- 2 cups diced eggplants (peeled first)
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans (or two 14.5 ounce cans of canned pinto beans)
- 1⁄2 cup water (or extra liquid from beans)
- Peel the eggplant and onion, then cut eggplant, zucchini and onion into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a very large large frying pan.
- Add vegetables and cook slightly. (Add water if it gets dry.).
- Add diced tomatoes, basil and oregano. Cover pan with lid and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add pinto beans and water or liquid from beans. Stir. Cover and cook until heated through. Serve immediately.