Recipe by TendrMoon
Have been making this for years and years. It's good served over pasta, as a side dish, or as a stand alone with a salad and some good bread. Have made it with the mushrooms and without. Good either way. Freezes very well.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups cubed eggplants
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drain and chop, reserve liquid
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- fresh basil leaves or 2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute' onion, garlic and eggplant in oil for five minutes. Add all other ingredients (including reserved liquid from tomatoes) and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes*.
- *I always cover and cook this longer (an hour or more until it tastes right to me) as I don't care for raw tasting tomatoes. When it's almost done, I uncover and cook a little longer so it thickens a bit. Again, just a personal preference.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.