Recipe by Engrossed
From: "The Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas, first edition 1972. This book was a real find!
Top Review by Marz
This sauce was absolutely divine! I halfed the recipe, and served this on whole grain penne. Just so you have an idea...my picky, way picky 4 year old, tried this an ate it for dinner! Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top and you are in heaven! I liked how you can control the thickness of the sauce by adding the broth. Oh, this will be repeated in the future, thanxs so much for posting!
- 29.58 ml olive oil (original has 1/2 cup!)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, unpeeled and chopped (about 1 lb.)
- 2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 709.77 ml tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 177.44 ml black olives, sliced
- 59.16 ml capers, rinsed
- 4.92-9.85 ml dried oregano
- 2.46-4.92 ml dried basil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, lots to taste
- 340.19 g tomato paste
- 473.18 ml dry white wine or 473.18 ml vegetable broth, more if needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add garlic.
- Add eggplant and bell peppers and toss.
- Stir in tomatoes, olives and capers.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir and cover.
- Turn heat down to very low and allow sauce to gently simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to keep it from scorching, add more wine or water if it gets to thick.