Recipe by Pinay0618
To me, the best thing about spring and summer is fresh eggplant from the garden. This recipe is from Real Simple.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted (optional)
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lb dry penne pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the celery and cook, 3 minutes. Stir in the eggplant and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, vinegar, 1/4 cup water, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the sugar. Stir into the eggplant. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the capers, pine nuts (if using), and parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook the penne according to the package directions. Toss with the remaining oil, let cool, and cover. Combine the eggplant with the pasta before serving.