2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Crispy layers of eggplant between homemade marinara sauce and lots of fresh mozzarella and parmigano reggiano cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with basil, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella balls, sliced
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch round slices. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet and sprinkle generously with kosher salt on both sides. Set aside for 1 hour to let the bitter juices weep from the eggplant. Meanwhile, make the marinara sauce.
- 2Heat the 2 Tbs olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion for 2 minutes and stir in the garlic. Saute for another minute until lightly browned. Add the can of tomatoes, a sprig of fresh basil and 1/2 Tbs of the dried thyme (or a fresh sprig of thyme if you have it). Bring the sauce to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the burner, remove the herb sprigs and leave the sauce until you are ready to assemble the casserole.
- 3Heat enough vegetable oil over med-high heat in a large dutch over or high-side skillet to completely cover the slices of eggplant.
- 4Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 5Place the flour in a deep plate.
- 6Whisk the eggs with the milk in another another deep plate.
- 7Combine the bread crumbs, 1 tsp salt, oregano and other 1/2 Tbsp thyme and season well with black pepper in a third deep plate.
- 8Transfer the eggplant to a colander and rinse well with cold water. Blot the slices dry with clean kitchen towels.
- 9Dredge the eggplant in the flour, then dip it in the egg and finally dredge it in the breadcrumb mixture. Shake off any excess breading and lay the eggplant on a baking sheet.
- 10Fry the eggplant in the vegetable oil in small batches. The oil should be 400 degrees. Basically, it needs to be hot. Turn it over once during the frying process and it should be golden brown and crispy on both sides. Remove the eggplant to a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- 11Prepare a 13x9 baking dish by brushing lightly with olive oil.
- 12Cover the bottom of the baking dish with 1/3 of the marinara sauce. Arrange half of the eggplant over the sauce. Cover the eggplant with another 1/3 of the sauce. Scatter half of the Parmesan cheese and layer half of the mozzarella over the eggplant. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, sauce, parmesan and mozzarella.
- 13Bake until hot and just beginning to brown, about 30 minutes.
- 14Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Parmigiano
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.9
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 145.4 mg
- Sodium 671.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 23.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes with basil