Recipe by Sheepie87
This is another one of my poor-student-don't-have-everything-I-need recipes. I wanted to make eggplant parm b/c here in Paris I've got eggplant (aubergines) and zucchini (courgettes) coming out of my ears! (This rec. doesn't contain zucchini, btw). Anyway, I bought all these (cheap!) eggplants and got home, realizing I had no cheese except for deliciously stinky, gooey, goaty St Marcellin. I figured that wouldn't really cut it. So I ended up with this vegan dish that made me feel healthy. That way I can eat it with rilettes, cheese, baguette, wine, etc. Ha! This recipe could easily be scaled up, I think.
- 1 large eggplant (I didn't peel mine, but do whatever suits your fancy)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree, separated
- 3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs (canned would be fine too)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Slice the eggplant into rounds--not too thick, though!
- Lightly grease/spray a small casserole dish.
- Layer the eggplant on the bottom and up the sides of the casserole.
- Sprinkle with spices and pour on 1/4 cup of tomato puree.
- Repeat until eggplant/tomato puree is used up. End with tomato sauce (use extra if you need to.).
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and drizzle olive oil over that.
- Cook in oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the eggplant is soft.
- To reheat, heat a bit of olive oil in a pan and pan-fry.