This is another one of my poor-student-don't-have-everything-I-need recipes. I wanted to make eggplant parm b/c here in Paris I've got eggplant (aubergines) and zucchini (courgettes) coming out of my ears! (This rec. doesn't contain zucchini, btw). Anyway, I bought all these (cheap!) eggplants and got home, realizing I had no cheese except for deliciously stinky, gooey, goaty St Marcellin. I figured that wouldn't really cut it. So I ended up with this vegan dish that made me feel healthy. That way I can eat it with rilettes, cheese, baguette, wine, etc. Ha! This recipe could easily be scaled up, I think.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 2Slice the eggplant into rounds--not too thick, though!
- 3Lightly grease/spray a small casserole dish.
- 4Layer the eggplant on the bottom and up the sides of the casserole.
- 5Sprinkle with spices and pour on 1/4 cup of tomato puree.
- 6Repeat until eggplant/tomato puree is used up. End with tomato sauce (use extra if you need to.).
- 7Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and drizzle olive oil over that.
- 8Cook in oven for approximately 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the eggplant is soft.
- 9To reheat, heat a bit of olive oil in a pan and pan-fry.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Parmigiana Without the Parmigiana!
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.3
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 61.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 3.3 g