Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This combines eggplant parmigiana with lasagna....meat and eggplant, plus lots of cheese.
Make and share this Eggplant Parmigiana and Italian Meats Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 large eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (8 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups romano cheese, grated
- 1 (6 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, slices, cut into thin strips
- Cook ground round in a skillet until browned, stirring to crumble meat. Drain, reserving 3 tbsp drippings. Set meat and drippings aside.
- Cook sausage in skillet until browned, stirring to crumble meat -- if in casings, remove casings. Drain, set aside.
- Combine ground round, reserved drippings, tomatoes, and next 9 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat 2 hours. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. Saute eggplant in olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until almost tender; drain.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups tomato mixture in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Layer half each of eggplant slices, shredded mozzarella cheese, grated parmesan cheese, reserved sausage, and tomato mixture. Repeat layers.
- Top with mozzarella cheese strips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and thoroughly heated.
This recipe takes a lot of time to do but it's worth it. The taste is amazing. I'm beginning to like eggplants. The taste of the sauce is wonderful. It's almost a lasagna without pasta. I used lean ground beef, spicy italian sausage. I didn't add the 28 ounces can tomato puree cause I didn't have any left in the pantry. So at the end, I added vegetable juice in the baking dish where there was sauce missing. I used only 1/8 cup sugar. Thanks Breezermom :) Made for 123 hit wonders
This was a truly delicious meal! I was unable to buy Italian sausage, so I made some, using regular beef sausage, mixed with sage, fennel, garlic powder, and Italian herbs. Also, i could only get 1 medium eggplant, so I had 1 layer of eggplant, and used zucchini for the other layer. This was a winner with our whole family!