1/9 Photos of Eggplant Parmigiana and Italian Meats Casserole
3 hrs 5 mins
This combines eggplant parmigiana with lasagna....meat and eggplant, plus lots of cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated (8 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese or 1 1/2 cups romano cheese, grated
- 1 (6 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, slices, cut into thin strips
- 1Cook ground round in a skillet until browned, stirring to crumble meat. Drain, reserving 3 tbsp drippings. Set meat and drippings aside.
- 2Cook sausage in skillet until browned, stirring to crumble meat -- if in casings, remove casings. Drain, set aside.
- 3Combine ground round, reserved drippings, tomatoes, and next 9 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat 2 hours. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- 4Cut eggplant into 1/4 inch slices. Saute eggplant in olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until almost tender; drain.
- 5Spread 1 1/2 cups tomato mixture in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Layer half each of eggplant slices, shredded mozzarella cheese, grated parmesan cheese, reserved sausage, and tomato mixture. Repeat layers.
- 6Top with mozzarella cheese strips.
- 7Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and thoroughly heated.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Parmigiana and Italian Meats Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (594 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 811.2
- Calories from Fat 516
- Total Fat 57.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 128.0 mg
- Sodium 1738.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 20.8 g
- Protein 42.9 g