Recipe by Joanne
This is one of my favorite vegitarian dishes to prepare. You can have it on a sandwich or with a side salad or over pasta. Either way, I love it.
Top Review by breezermom
This is delicious! I made it exactly as posted, and it turned out great. I baked mine for 35 minutes, and it got a bit brown.....but I think my oven runs a little bit hot. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing! Made for Rookie tag game.
- 2 eggplants, small to medium size, washed, and cut into 1/2 inch rounds (skin on)
- 5 cups tomato sauce, my Italian Tomato Sauce
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- 6 -8 cups seasoned panko breadcrumbs or 6 -8 cups regular seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mozzarella cheese, shredded
- canola oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- For the eggplant (this step is optional, leave it out if you have limited time): Arrange the eggplant rounds in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt on both sides of each slice and allow it to sit for about 1 hour. Salting it draws out the liquid and bitter flavor. After an hour, rinse with cold water and dry them with paper towels.
- Arrange a breading station:.
- Combine eggs, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste in large bowl. In another bowl combine panko breadcrumbs, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, and 1 tbs. parmesan cheese. Dip eggplant in egg mixture, then in panko breadcrumbs. Arrange the eggplant in a single layer on baking sheets.
- Heat a large frying pan on low/medium heat, add enough olive oil to fill about 1/2 inch of the bottom of the pan (you may need to add more oil after first batch). When oil is hot, add a single layer of eggplant. Cook for about 3 minutes per side until golden brown (do this in batches) transfer eggplant to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- To assemble:.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish add a little of the tomato sauce to coat bottom of pan. Add a single layer of eggplant slices (i start with the largest slices) top with tomato sauce, then mozzarella cheese, then torn basil. Repeat the layering process 2 more times (or until you use up all of the eggplant) to make 3 layers. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tbs. Parmesan cheese on top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until hot and bubbly.