Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of my favorite vegitarian dishes to prepare. You can have it on a sandwich or with a side salad or over pasta. Either way, I love it.
- 2 eggplants, small to medium size, washed, and cut into 1/2 inch rounds (skin on)
- 5 cups tomato sauce, my Italian Tomato Sauce
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- 6 -8 cups seasoned panko breadcrumbs or 6 -8 cups regular seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mozzarella cheese, shredded
- canola oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- For the eggplant (this step is optional, leave it out if you have limited time): Arrange the eggplant rounds in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Sprinkle with salt on both sides of each slice and allow it to sit for about 1 hour. Salting it draws out the liquid and bitter flavor. After an hour, rinse with cold water and dry them with paper towels.
- Arrange a breading station:.
- Combine eggs, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste in large bowl. In another bowl combine panko breadcrumbs, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, and 1 tbs. parmesan cheese. Dip eggplant in egg mixture, then in panko breadcrumbs. Arrange the eggplant in a single layer on baking sheets.
- Heat a large frying pan on low/medium heat, add enough olive oil to fill about 1/2 inch of the bottom of the pan (you may need to add more oil after first batch). When oil is hot, add a single layer of eggplant. Cook for about 3 minutes per side until golden brown (do this in batches) transfer eggplant to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- To assemble:.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish add a little of the tomato sauce to coat bottom of pan. Add a single layer of eggplant slices (i start with the largest slices) top with tomato sauce, then mozzarella cheese, then torn basil. Repeat the layering process 2 more times (or until you use up all of the eggplant) to make 3 layers. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tbs. Parmesan cheese on top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until hot and bubbly.
This is delicious! I made it exactly as posted, and it turned out great. I baked mine for 35 minutes, and it got a bit brown.....but I think my oven runs a little bit hot. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing! Made for Rookie tag game.
Halved the recipe and made it for lunch. Very nice, good flavor! Made for Best of 2013 game. Thanks!