Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is modified from an other recipe I found here at Food.com I was told it was better than Olive Gardens!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (24 ounce) jarbertolli tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons pesto sauce
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- 1⁄4 lb mild Italian sausage (crumbled)
- Pre-heat oven to 225°F.
- Brown Italian Sausage set aside on paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Slice the eggplant into 3/8 inch slices.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg wash and then coat well with flour.
- Fry eggplant slices in Olive Oil in a non stick frying pan and set aside to drain on paper towel.
- In a separate non stick frying pan heat Canola Oil over medium to high heat.
- Saute Garlic and Onions until the onions unitl the onions turn translucent.
- Add the Tomato & Basil Sauce mix well.
- Stir in the Pesto Sauce and Italian Sausage.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat ant simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove Sauce from heat.
- Put a small layer of sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Add a layer of Eggplant topped with a slice of Mozzarella Cheese.
- Cover with sauce and top with a layer of Eggplant topped with Mozzarella Cheese.
- Cook in Oven for 25 minutes.