Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy vegetarian main dish. My mom's recipe.
- 1 eggplant
- salt & pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs (oregano, basil, thyme)
- 8 ounces grated cheese
- Slice eggplant.
- Lightly salt and pepper each slice.
- Dip each in bread crumbs, coating both sides.
- Dip each in whisked egg and then again in bread crumbs, coating both sides.
- Fry in 1/8 inch of oil until tender, turning once.
- Layer in 2 quart baking dish.
- Saute onions and peppers; add to eggplant.
- Combine tomato and spices in skillet or sauce pan, heating through.
- Pour sauce over vegetables.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake in 350F oven 20-30 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted.
This was a very good recipe. I sauteed the onion, green peppers and some garlic in oil and then added the tomato puree (we love garlic in our sauce). It turned out very good and I would make it again. I will add some fennel next time with the seasonings. Served with a green salad. Thank you! Made for Spring PAC 09.