1 hr 15 mins
I often find that the star of eggplant parmigiana recipes (the eggplant!) ends up overwhelmed by the marinara or smothered by the cheese, so I experimented a bit and came up with a recipe that has a nice balance between all the flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs eggplants, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups finely ground panko breadcrumbs (or regular breadcrumbs)
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian spices (a blend of whatever you prefer)
- 2 -3 eggs, beaten (start with 2, add another if needed)
- 2 -3 tablespoons water (add the third T. if you add a third egg)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray (about 1 T. total)
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (2 cups)
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 ounce shredded parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 deg. F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- 2Slice eggplant, set aside.
- 3Mix panko, cayenne, and italian seasonings in medium shallow bowl. Beat eggs with water in another shallow bowl.
- 4Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray lightly with olive oil. Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in breadcrumb mixture. Cook coated slices 2 minutes on a side or till tender, working in batches if needed.
- 5Layer 1/3 of the eggplant slices in the bottom of prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat layers 2 more times. Stir vinegar into marinara and spoon marinara over last layer. Top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella and parmesan.
- 6Cover dish loosely with foil and bake 30 minutes at 375 deg. F. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes, till cheese is golden. Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
- 7**if you'd like to make this ahead, assemble up to 2 days in advance. Cover with foil and refrigerate till ready to bake, then cook about 10-15 extra minutes before removing the foil. (Please note, though, the longer you refrigerate it, the less crispy the crumb coating will be).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Parmigiana
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.9
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 67.1 mg
- Sodium 811.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 12.6 g