Recipe by AndreaVT96
An oven-fried version of Eggplant Parmesan that eliminates a lot of the fat. From Weight Watchers book--"Simply Delicious". 5 WW points per serving
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, Italian-seasoned
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs eggplants, unpeeled and cut into 1/4 in. slices
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets and a 9x13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Lightly beat eggs and milk in shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip eggplant in egg mixture, then in breadcrumbs and arrange in one layer on the baking sheets. Lightly spray the eggplant with nonstick spray. Bake until eggplant is softened and lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a nonstick Dutch oven. Swirl in oil, then add onion and garlic. Saute until golden, about 7 minutes Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, wine, basil, salt, pepper and sugar; bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/3 of tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish. Top with a layer of half the eggplant, then another 1/3 of sauce, then another layer of remaining eggplant, then the remaining sauce. Sprinkle w/ mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, and bake uncovered until the dish is hot and bubbling and cheese is golden, about 20 minutes Let stand 5 minutes before serving.