Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
Until I tried this recipe I wasn't real fond of eggplant!
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 egg whites
- 1.23 ml sea salt (regular can be substituted)
- 473.18 ml breadcrumbs
- 78.07 ml grated parmesan cheese (recommend using a mix of parmesan and romano)
- 1 head garlic
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 9.85 ml dried basil
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 946.36 ml tomato sauce (any brand will due, but I recommend my zesty tomato sauce!)
- 396.89 g can white beans
- 354.88 ml low fat mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350.
- in a flat bottom bowl, whisk egg whites, salt, 2 cloves garlic.
- in another bowl, mix bread crumbs, basil, and parmesean/romano mixture.
- lightly spray two baking sheets with olive oil and drizzle a small amount on the whole garlic head.
- cut eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds and dip into egg mixture then batter in bread crumbs.
- place eggplant and garlic head on baking sheets.
- cook until tender (about 20 min on each side for the eggplant and 20-30 min total for garlic head).
- drain and rinse white beans.
- in 2 8x11 baking dishes, put a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- when garlic head is finished and cool enough to touch, peel out the cloves and mash them into the white beans to make a paste.
- put a layer of eggplant rounds on top of the tomato sauce.
- spread bean/garlic paste evenly on rounds.
- add half the cheese and a cup of sauce.
- place the rest of the eggplant in a second layer.
- add any leftover bread crumbs, sauce and cheese.
- bake 25 min until cheese is bubbly.
Thank you for sharing this recipe, it was delicious! I had bought some beautiful eggplants and when I saw the nutritional contents in this recipe plus the addition od the white beans, decided to give it a try. Shared several servings with my son and his girlfriend, nothing but raving fans!! It is a recipe that is so very delicious, we never missed all that oil from frying, it was definitely worth making and I will add the recipe to my "Make often" file. Thank you again!