Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tender layers of crispy breaded eggplant nestled in a rich tomato sauce, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and seasoned with fresh oregano leaves. This is a simple quick and easy recipe for making this classic Italian dish that is sure to satisfy. It can be served as a main meal or placed on bread to make a classic parmigiana sandwich.
- 3 medium eggplants
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves (to garnish)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for drizzling on top
- olive oil (for frying)
- Slice eggplant into 1 inch thick rounds, place in a shallow bowl, salt on both sides and set aside.
- In a saucepan add 2 tablespoons olive oil ,chopped garlic and chopped onion and cook until onion is clear.
- add 2 cups tomato puree and 1 tsp oregano leaves.
- add salt and pepper to taste, stir, reduce heat and let simmer,.
- rinse eggplant and pat dry.
- dip eggplant in flour, dip in lightly beaten egg,then dip in breadcrumbs.
- add oil to skillet and fry eggplant till golden brown on each side.
- take 1/2 of the fried eggplant rounds and set in a baking pan or casserole dish.
- add sauce onto each round.
- add some shredded mozzarella to each one.
- add another eggplant round.
- add sauce and mozzarella to each one,.
- top each one generously with grated parmesan.
- garnish each with a few oregano leaves.
- drizzle with oil , and bake in oven at 375 till cheese is melted and starting to become golden brown.