Recipe by Mrs. Hughes
Due to an abundance of eggplant in the garden, I was looking around online for recipes with eggplant in them. I found this one and made it...it was delicious.
Top Review by MISSIB
I am only giving a 3-star which may not seem fair but I followed recipe exactly and found that in doing so my eggplant came out too "soppy" if that is a word and I don't want to be unkind here. I think if I were to make this again, I would use a little less cheese and bake it for a shorter period of time. Please note that this is just how me and DH feel perhaps the rest of you would like it just fine. Taste was good. I will post a pix but it doesn't really do it justice. Also, should I have peeled it, cuz my dh said it had a bitter taste. I just ate the middle, not the skin-part. It had a nice taste, even if it was a bit "soppy"
- 2 -3 medium eggplants
- 6 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
For the Sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cansimported chopped Italian tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut eggplants lengthwise into 3/4 to 1 inch thick slices.
- Place a few slices in a colander and sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
- Continue steps 1 and 2 until all eggplants are sliced and in the colander.
- Put a plate that just covers the eggplant on top and weight it down with a heavy can.
- Let eggplant drain in sink for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Pat eggplant dry.
- While eggplant is draining in sink:.
- In a heavy sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- Add garlic and cook an additional minute of two.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook over low heat until the sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Add chopped basil and mix well.
- Turn on oven broiler and place eggplant slices flat on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the tops of eggplants with olive oil.
- Broil until lightly browned.
- Turn eggplants over and brown.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large baking pan, first spoon in a little sauce to just cover the bottom of pan.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices side by side without touching each other.
- Spoon a little sauce on each slice.
- Sprinkle a little of each of the grated cheeses on each eggplant.
- Repeat steps 20 thru 22.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and lightly browned, about 35 to 40 minutes.