Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This uses the same sauce as my Beef Parmesan, but uses eggplant in order to create a meatless dish. This is now my hubbys favorite dish, and I am glad because I have to say I like it alot too!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced about 1/3 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs or 1 cup crushed saltine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Dip eggplant into beaten egg, then into a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Brown in oil on both sides and transfer onto plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- In remaining oil, brown onion, then add tomato paste, hot water, and seasonings.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour a third of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Put a layer of eggplant over the sauce, and put on 1/3 the cheese, more parmesan if wanted, 1/3 more sauce, and then repeat, making sure you end with sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 and a half hours.
Everyone else loved this recipe (my wife and in-laws) I was disappointed personally though. It was too sweet for my taste, though my in-laws were licking their plates clean, literally. Next time I will cut the sugar in half at least and try to figure out something to add some spice, don't know what at this point, but will have to figure it out if there is a second time I make this.
My husband really loved this and he's kinda picky, he loved it so much he went back for seconds even though he was stuffed! And he wanted me to make it again the next week! I used panko bread crumbs and baked it for 1 hour at 375 degrees (because I'm impatient and also didn't want to eat dinner at 8:00) The second time I made it I used half the sugar because it was way too sweet for me the first time. I also had to add more oil towards the end of frying the eggplant and before adding the onions. Overall it's a very simple and great recipe. Thanks!
My picky vegetarian daughter ate it up. I didnt make sauce just used prego. Im only giving 4 stars b/c I wasnt the one eating it . Thanks for the recipe!!