Recipe by ~*Miss Diggy*~
This uses the same sauce as my Beef Parmesan, but uses eggplant in order to create a meatless dish. This is now my hubbys favorite dish, and I am glad because I have to say I like it alot too!
Top Review by PopeKyle
Everyone else loved this recipe (my wife and in-laws) I was disappointed personally though. It was too sweet for my taste, though my in-laws were licking their plates clean, literally. Next time I will cut the sugar in half at least and try to figure out something to add some spice, don't know what at this point, but will have to figure it out if there is a second time I make this.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced about 1/3 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs or 1 cup crushed saltine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 3 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Dip eggplant into beaten egg, then into a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Brown in oil on both sides and transfer onto plate with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- In remaining oil, brown onion, then add tomato paste, hot water, and seasonings.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour a third of the sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Put a layer of eggplant over the sauce, and put on 1/3 the cheese, more parmesan if wanted, 1/3 more sauce, and then repeat, making sure you end with sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 and a half hours.