Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Really a nice oozy sandwich! Submitted in the Category Craze-E #3 Contest.
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup canned tomato (or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 eggplant
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- marinara sauce, and picante sauce for dipping
- Preheat grill pan or Panini press. You can also use a George Forman grill.
- Melt butter and mix with olive oil.
- Peel eggplant and slice.
- Brush the eggplant slices with butter and oil mixture. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill eggplant on the grill pan until the eggplant is marked and just soft, about 4-6 minutes. Turn once.
- Remove from the grill.
- Mix worchestershire, basalmic vinegar, mayonnaise, garlic powder and mustard in a small bowl.
- Spread mixture on four slices of bread. Add sliced eggplant, add 1 T red onions, and a few chopped tomatoes to each sandwich ( you may use fresh tomatoes, if desired. Because this recipe was developed for a contest, canned tomatoes were used).
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Add 1 slice mozzarella to each sandwich.
- Top with remaining bread slices.
- Brush both sides of bread with olive oil and butter mixture.
- Grill until cheese melts and bread is crisp.
- Serve with marinara sauce or picante sauce, if desired.
- Slice into fourths for buffet table.
Great Sandwich! I loved the combinations used with the Balsamic vinegar. I used fat free mayo and I don't think it took away from it at all. Will definitely be making these again!
This was crazee good! I enjoyed all the flavors and just loved it!Thanks and good luck! :)