Prep 45 mins
Cook 17 mins
My vegetarian friend shared this dish with me and I fell in love with it. If you like eggplant and spinach, you might want to give it a try. Adapted from Moosewood.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups cubed eggplants (1-inch cubes)
- 1 large red bell pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened apple juice or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces chopped rinsed fresh Baby Spinach
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated feta cheese
- In a large pot, saute the onions and garlic in oil until vegetables are transparent.
- Add the eggplant and red bell pepper; stir to combine.
- Crush the tomatoes and add them with their liquid to the pot; stir to combine.
- Add the apple juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and fennel; stir to combine (if using dried dill, add it now).
- Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until the eggplant is tender.
- Add in the fresh dill, lemon juice, and spinach.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes or until the spinach wilts but is still bright green in color.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into individual bowls and sprinkle feta cheese on top.
Excellent, refreshing dish! Reminds me of a dish from Georgia (Country) called Ajapsandali. I fried the eggplant separately and added it in after peppers were cooked. I also added some potatoes and scallions.
We loved it!!!! Will make this over and over again. Our 3 yrs old had seconds!!!