1 hr 10 mins
Chef #610952's Note:
Culinary notes: Most eggplants produce a bitter tasting alkaloid. A method for removing this unwanted flavor is to sprinkle the slices with salt and let them rest in a colander for an hour. Afterwards. Rise the slices under cold water. Gently squeezing out the moisture pressing on the slices also collapses the eggplants air pockets reducing the absorption of oil during frying
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2For marinara, in a small saucepan over medium heat, warm oil and sauté onion for 4 mins or until translucent .Add garlic and sauté, stirring continually do not brown .Add tomatoes and herbs and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10mins set aside.
- 3Season eggplant slices with salt and pepper, and dredge in flour, shaking off the excess. Next dip each slice in egg, then in the bread crumbs. Set aside.
- 4In large skillet heat vegetable oil over high heat until very hot. Sauté eggplant one slice at a time until golden brown.
- 5Places the cooked sliced on a baking sheet,.
- 6Top each with a tomato slices and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake for 10mins until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- 7To serve stack three eggplant / tomato slices on each plate. Garnish with some basil spoon marinara around eggplant tower.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Mozzarella Tower
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 676.6
- Calories from Fat 436
- Total Fat 48.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 76.7 mg
- Sodium 287.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 14.6 g