Recipe by Joseph Johnson
This is a delicious dish that the whole family will love, and a fantastic way to introduce children to eggplant. Takes about 90 minutes from start to finish, including prep time, serves about 4-6 people, and is very affordable.
- 1 lb eggplant (washed, peeled and diced)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or any other lean meat)
- 1 (12 ounce) box jumbo pasta shells
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 26 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add one quart water and 1/2 tbsp salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Wash, peel and dice your eggplant(s), about 1/2 inch cubes, and add to saucepan. Boil about 20 minutes until eggplant is mostly translucent.
- In a large saucepan, prepare jumbo shells as directed.
- Dice 1/2 medium onion and crush 2 cloves garlic. In a ten inch skillet, saute onions and garlic in 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil for five min, then add and brown ground beef (or other lean meat).
- Drain eggplant. In a large bowl, mash eggplant thoroughly. Then add the beef and onion mixture and 3 cups of mozzarella cheese. Mix until the cheese melts and you have a nice gooey blob.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray or grease a 13x9 baking dish. Drain jumbo shells and stuff each with about 2 tbsp or so of the eggplant mozzarella mixture. Arrange into 3 rows of 8 shells.
- Cover the shells with your favorite spaghetti or pasta sauce, then top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake about 30 minutes or until cheese just begins to brown. Remove and let cool about 5-10 minutes and serve!