Recipe by blucoat
This meatless recipe is from Vegetarian Times (Feb. 2000). It is much lighter than the typical moussaka as it calls for grilling the eggplant rather than frying it. This is a great recipe for garlic lovers!
- cooking spray
- 3 large eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (4 lbs.)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces ground meat substitute
- 28 ounces low-sodium italian tomatoes, drained and chopped, liquid reserved
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 cup fat free egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat large skillet or grill pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add eggplant slices in batches and cook until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side; remove to large plate. Recoat pan between batches. Set eggplant slices aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat 3-quart lasagna pan or other large baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Coat another large skillet once with cooking spray and place over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and stir 15 seconds. Add soy "meat," breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with reserved liquid, rice, oregano, allspice, salt, pepper and half the parsley. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In small bowl, combine egg substitute and remaining parsley. Mix well, then stir into "meat" sauce.
- Line bottom of prepared lasagna pan with single layer of eggplant slices. Spread half the "meat" sauce on top. Cover with remaining eggplant and sauce. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake until moussaka is starting to brown and is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Preheat broiler. Coat top of moussaka with cooking spray. Broil until bread crumbs are browned, about 1 minute. Serve hot.