Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This rich and delicious soup is chock full of veggies! The recipe is from an old, yellowed, well-worn newspaper clipping we found when cleaning out one of my mom's kitchen cabinets.
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 carrots
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni
- ground black pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- Peel and dice the onion, eggplant, carrots, and tomatoes. Peel and mince the garlic. Dice the zucchini and celery.
- Heat the oil in a large soup kettle. Add the onions and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add the eggplant and saute 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, celery, stock, basil, oregano, and salt. Stir well. Simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours.
- Add the macaroni and cook 15 minutes more. Add pepper to taste. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Yum, a really healthy and substantional soup with great flavors. The only change I made was to not peel the eggplant and zucchini because I quite enjoy the skin in soups and in all the excitement forgot to add parmesan when serving. I always love soups like these that are a meal in themselves.
The taste is really good. But mine turned out like a stew. I followed the recipe except that I omitted the carrots and salt. I don't know what happened. I had the good amount of liquid. Maybe it was simmering too long. I really should have added more stock. If I do it again, I won't change the ingredients, just add more stock. The flavor is perfect. And so healthy. Thanks loof :) Made for PRMR tag game
I love this soup! It is just full of vegetables and yet has such a full flavor. I didn't have any beef stock to add so I just used water. It was a good soup for lunch and would go very well with ciabatta which I am planning to serve with it next time. I did forget to put the pasta in it and so when I heated up the leftovers the next day I added some cooked pasta. Either way it we enjoyed it. Thanks for posting this recipe! Made for Ramadan Tag 2010