Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had been planning on making a meat pie with ground meat and puff pastry dough for a dinner party, but 2 hours before the party, I realized that instead of buying pastry sheets, I had bought pastry shells, which would never work. So after the compulsory freak out, I created this dish and was glad I did, because we finished every drop!
- saute onion until soft.
- brown meat and add to onions.
- Mix with 15 oz. marinara sauce.
- Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2 inch rounds.
- dredge in flour, then egg, then cornflake crumbs.
- In an oven proof dish, lay down raw lasagna noodles.
- layer on half of the eggplant rounds.
- add a layer of 1/2 the meat.
- Repeat noodles, eggplant and meat.
- End with a layer of noodles.
- Mix the remaining marinara sauce with a cup of water and pour over the noodles.
- sprinkle with some cornflake crumbs and fresh or dried parsley.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
Horrible! Sorry, I am not a great cook, and always follow the recipes, and this was the first time when I ruined the dinner and had to throw everything away :( The lasagna shells were so hard that we couldn't cut through, the bottom ones. Middle tasted good, but no thank you - I have made regular lasagna before, and it was not even close to what happened to this one. And we LOVE eggplant, what a waste...
I loved the eggplant in this dish! The sauce seemed a bit out of place with the ground beef, it might just be my marinara, so I think I'd use something more Mexican style next time although I'd be careful with the salt because mine was a bit salty.