1/5 Photos of Eggplant Lovers Stuffed Eggplant
1 hr 30 mins
This is a delicious ground beef and eggplant dish for eggplant lovers! I have varied this dish several times by using ground pork and also Italian sausage meat either pork or chicken in place of the ground beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, small diced
- 1 red pepper, small diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups grated pecorino romano cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the center, leaving enough meat inside the skin so that it holds its shape when baked.
- 3Boil the scooped-out center part until very soft, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, in a medium saute pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- 5Add the seasoned ground beef to the pan and saute until all of its liquid is evaporated and the beef begins to brown slightly.
- 6Drain the beef, removing the extra, unnecessary fat. Let cool briefly and chop the cooked beef so that there are no large chunks of meat.
- 7In another medium saute pan over medium heat add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and saute the onions, peppers and garlic together.
- 8In a bowl mix together the cooked eggplant, vegetables, cooked beef, herbs, 1 cup of the cheese, bread crumbs, and the egg.
- 9Fill the scooped-out eggplant halves with this mixture, dividing it evenly among the 2 halves.
- 10Top with chopped tomatoes and the remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese, season with salt and pepper, place on an oiled oven tray or baking dish, and bake for 60 minutes in preheated oven. Let cool briefly, slice width-wise and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Lovers Stuffed Eggplant
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.5
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 114.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese
diced fire-roasted tomatoes