Prep 10 mins
Cook 56 mins
Taken from the WomenHeart's All Heart Family Cookbook
Make and share this Eggplant Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced very thin
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced very thin
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F Coat an 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, turning once, for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Place in the prepared pan. Add the garlic to the same skillet and cook for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, and oregano. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spread about 1/3 of the tomato mixture over the onion layer. Arrange 1/3 of the eggplant over the tomatoes and top with 1/3 of the sliced tomato. Top with 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat the layers two times. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is lightly browned.