Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A delicious, light alternative to regular lasagna because there is no pasta used. Soft eggplant serves as the noodle and layered with delicious sauce and cheeses to make a wonderful one dish meal.
- 2 large eggplants, sliced in 1/4-inch slices
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) jargood marinara sauce
- 1 (2 lb) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 lb part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Oil 2 large baking sheets and place eggplant slices on pans. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spray with plive oil cooking spray. Bake 350F for 15 minutes until soft and tender. Cool slightly for easier handling.
- Grate half of the mozarella cheese. Slice the rest in thin slices and reserve.
- Combine the Ricotta cheese, grated mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, beaten egg, parsley and sugar.
- In large lasagna pan place 1/3 of sauce to coat bottom of pan. Layer eggplant slices on top of sauce to cover pan. Cover with 1/2 cheese mixture and cover with more sauce.
- Repeat eggplant, cheese mixture sauce. Top with more eggplant slices and cover top with more sauce. Lay slices of mozzarella on top and sprinkle additional grated parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in 350F oven for 30-35 minutes.
This was great tasting and real easy to put together. I saved this receipt and well definitely make it again, but since I'm a meat person, I will add either cooked crumbled sausage or ground beef when I layer the egg plant. To anyone that reads this, make this dish and you will like it better then lasagna and I wasn't hungry to influence my taste and rating. Thanks DianeNJ.