Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yum, yum, yum! We loved this. We love the varied tastes and the easiness of this recipe.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 850 g tomatoes, chopped (cans)
- 1⁄4 cup basil, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 250 g whole wheat lasagna noodles, sheets, wholemeal
- 50 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Cut eggplants into 1 cm thick slices. Place on absorbent paper in a single layer and sprinkle with salt. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C.
- Blot eggplant dry with absorbent paper. Place eggplant in a single layer on a lightly greased baking try. Brush tops with a little of the oil. Bake for 30 minutes or until the eggplant is just tender, turning once during cooking.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan, add onion and garlic, cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes or until onion is tender. Add tomato pieces, basil and wine. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To assemble Lasagna: Preheat oven to moderate 180°C, lightly grease a 30cm x 20cm x 6cm baking dish. Arrange a few sheets of lasagne over the base of dish. Place eggplant slices in a single layer over the lasagne sheets. Top with half the tomato mixture, then add another layer of lasagne.
- Combine the cream and egg, and pour over the lasagne sheets and bake in oven 30 minutes.
hiya, I tried this last night, and realised you didnt say what to do with the breadcrumbs, parmesan or mozzarella, so I combined them and sprinkled on the eggplant, with the mozzarella on top. Worked out ok, but will try again. the flavours are lovely together