Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A perfect recipe -- lots of veggies, combined with lamb, herbs and spices for a dish that reminds me why I love Mediterranean foods! Better yet: for all the great flavor this dish delivers -- it comes together pretty fast. I made this for my sis years ago when she came home from the hospital after having her daughter Alexis and it's been a family favorite since. From Eating Well's Rush Hour Cookbook. Serve with crusty bread and Tzatziki -- either store bought (Costco's is good!), or make your own: Peel, seed and shred a large cucumber, squeeze dry and mix with 1-2 minced garlic, dash of salt and pepper, 2 T chopped mint and 1/4 cup ( i use a bit more) plain yogurt.
- 2 large eggplants, cut in half lengthwise
- 3⁄4-1 lb ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, with juice
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth (reduced sodium)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (preferably imported)
- Preheat oven to 450°F Place eggplant halves, cut side down, in a roasting pan. Add 1/2" of water to pan and bake 20-25 minutes, until tender. Reduce oven temp to 400°F
- While eggplant in roasting, heat a large dutch oven over med-high heat. Add ground lamb and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 3-5 minutes. Transfer to colander to drain off fat. Set aside.
- Add oil to the dutch oven and heat over med heat. Add onions and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Add red peppers and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, oregano, thyme, cinnamon and cloves. Simmer, breaking up the tomatoes a bit with the spoon, until mixture has thickened slightly, 3-5 minutes.
- Scoop out eggplant flesh and chop coarsely. Stir rice, beef broth, chopped eggplant and lamb into tomato mixture. Bring to a simmer, then cover the pan and place in oven. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed. Season with salt and pepper. Dot with feta cheese and serve.
Excellant ! I made the recipe as directed. We really enjoyed the flavors of this dish.