Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Try having these at your next Russian Barbeque. These delicious skewers of eggplant stuffed with a mixture of salt pork, garlic, and cilantro will make your guests yell for more!
- 3 ounces salt pork
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 -8 sprigs fresh cilantro, stemmed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 baby eggplants (about 4 inches long and no more than 2 inches thick)
- olive oil, for brushing the eggplant
- Prepare the grill and let the coals burn until covered with a white ash, or preheat the broiler. Oil the grill or broiler rack (I like to use a smoker basket or a veggie basket when grilling any veggie).
- With a sharp knife, finely dice the salt pork together with the garlic, salt, cilantro, and cayenne to taste until the ingredients are blended.
- Wash and stem the eggplants. Pat thoroughly dry. With a sharp knife, make a lengthwise slit in the eggplant, cutting approximately one-third of the way into the eggplant, and leaving about ½ inch uncut on each end. Insert a little of the salt pork mixture into each slit.
- Thread the eggplants lengthwise on long metal skewers, two on each skewer. Brush with olive oil. Grill or broil the eggplants, turning from side to side (NOT slit side down) until soft, about 25 to 30 minutes.