Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Always inspired by the Internet, TRUE! This HEALTHY recipe JUMPED out at me too! LOVE the soaking technique! Worked GREAT for me today! Used green and red capsicum as the holidays will soon be on thier way! http://spiceandtaste.com/2011/05/eggplant-paradise/ NOTE I subbed xylitol for the sugar; for anyone with a sugar related condition; MUCH better option
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -6 medium tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup basil
- mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil
- Wash and cut the eggplants into 1-1 1/2 inch cubes. Place them into a deep dish and cover with water, add 1 tsp salt into the water. After 5 minutes remove eggplants to a paper towel by squeezing the excess water out. Place into a deep dish.
- Add the bell peppers with the eggplants into the bowl, add 2 tbsp olive oil, salt to taste and mix well. Place it to a flat oven tray and bake in 425 F for at least 15-20 minutes or until golden color.
- Remove the eggplants from the tray and place them into a oven safe baking dish after its cooked.
- Place 4 medium size the tomatoes ( peeled and chopped), 2 garlic cloves, basil, 1/2 tbsp sugar, salt to taste into a small sauce-pan and simmer until the all the ingredients melted.
- Pour the tomato sauce on top of the eggplants and place the small mozzarella’s on top of the tomato sauce. Place the dish in 400 F for another 10-15 minutes until the mozzarella melt.