1/2 Photos of Eggplant Gratin
From Barefoot Contessa's Food Network television show. The episode was entitled "Memory Lane".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Heat about 1/8-inch of olive oil in a very large frying pan over medium heat.
- 3When the oil is almost smoking, add several slices of eggplant and cook, turning once, until they are evenly browned on both sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Be careful, it splatters!
- 4Transfer the cooked eggplant slices to paper towels to drain.
- 5Add more oil, heat, and add more eggplant until all the slices are cooked.
- 6Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, egg, half-and-half, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- 7In each of 2 individual gratin dishes, place a layer of eggplant slices, then sprinkle with Parmesan, salt and pepper and spoon 1/2 of the marinara sauce.
- 8Next, add a second layer of eggplant, more salt and pepper, half the ricotta mixture, and finally 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan on top.
- 9Place the gratins on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the custard sets and the top is browned.
- 10Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.9
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 158.7 mg
- Sodium 803.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 22.2 g