Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From “North African Cooking” by Hilaire Walden.
- 2 lbs eggplants
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled deseeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut slits in the eggplants and insert slices of garlic.
- Bake in oven until skin is charred and blistered.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Peel eggplant, squeeze out the juice and discard juices, then place in a bowl.
- Mash eggplant and garlic, tomatoes, paprika, cumin, cilantro and salt.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add eggplant mixture and fry, stirring frequently, until very thick.
- This takes about 15 minutes.
- Pour off the excess oil.
- Add lemon juice to the paste, to taste.
- Serve warm or cool.