Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My favorite eggplant curry. A friend's Indian husband assured me it's authentic Indian cooking.
Make and share this Eggplant Curry (Indian) recipe from Food.com.
- Slice eggplant lenghthwise about 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle slices with salt and set aside.
- Finely mince garlic and ginger, sprinkle with little salt, mince some more until nearly mashed.
- Slice onions thinly.
- Seed and finely chop red and green chili peppers.
- In a deep skillet, heat ghee and fry sliced onions until soft and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, pat eggplant slices dry and cube them.
- Add red and green chili peppers, minced garlic and ginger, curry leaves, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and ground coriander to the onions, fry, stirring, until fragrant, then add tomato paste and tamarind puree, stir and add eggplant cubes.
- Fry one more minute, then add coconut milk, bring to a gentle boil, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until eggplant is soft.
- Serve with rice, roti, dal or meat curry!
Quite good, thanks, Mia! Made as directed. I gave some to my neighbor, a vegetarian, and she loved it, too! Served over brown rice. For WT8
Very tasty, although mine was pretty spicy because I forgot to seed the chiles before chopping them. I ate this with some naan (wanted rice, but didn't have enough time). I really enjoyed this, though. Thanks for posting! Made for The Honeys for ZWT8
1st of my eggplant dishes that are going in freezer. a friend gave me 30 eggplant ! this is a mild good tasting curry ,if you are used to spice bump this up . i liked it very much used coconut milk from walmart . so im not getting a strong taste like i might have from canned milk ( i believe they wave coconut over top of box lol) i used a little more milk because my pan was large another good one sweetie zaar world tour 8