Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here's a nice alternative to Eggs Benedict for that special breakfast! This recipe came from a little booklet picked up at the grocery checkout stand.
- 1 Japanese eggplant, cut diagonally into 1/2 inch slices
- 4 slices French bread (or Italian)
- 4 slices gruyere cheese (or Swiss)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or chives or parsley)
- 4 eggs, poached and kept warm
- fresh ground pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat broiler and place rack about 8 inches from heat source.
- Lightly coat baking tray with olive oil.
- Arrange eggplant slices on one side and bread on another.
- Drizzle tops with oilve oil.
- Broil eggplant until golden on both sides, and set aside.
- Broil bread until golden on one side. Remove from oven, turn over, top with cheese and return to oven just to melt.
- Place each bread slice on serving plate. Top with eggplant slices to cover and one poached egg.
- Sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper and serve.