Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
From the June 27, 2008 Athens' Plus Magazine. "The more well-known “flaska” and the green flaska (are) from the island of Tinos." Use any eggplant if you're not in Greece :-) "This dish goes well with a fresh tomato sauce with hot pepper or even a spicy sauce made of Florina capsicums (bell peppers). It goes well with a light, aromatic Macedonian retsina, or a rose with high acidity in order to balance the oiliness." Prep and cook time a guess.
- 2 large flaska aubergines
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 kg kefalotiri, grated
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 onion
- breadcrumbs, Double-baked, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and wash the aubergines and chop into large cubes.
- After salting and straining, drop into boiling water.
- When they come to the boil, drain well and then mash in a wooden pestle or food processor.
- Knead all the ingredients together well and shape into balls; roll the balls in the double-baked breadcrumbs and fry until golden.