Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe was clipped out of a magazine. A non-traditional version of chili that I thought was delicious. You can adjust the amount of spiciness to your taste. I prefer mine mild to moderately spicy. Add cayenne, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce if you prefer.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- Add ground beef, onion, and garlic to a large pot; cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, stirring to crumble up the meat; drain well.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the kidney beans.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and lower heat; simmer for 2 hours.
- Add in kidney beans; stir.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes; adjust seasoning to taste.
Holy cow!! This is sooo good! I added sliced mushrooms and diced jalepanos in with the onions and needed about 1 c water. I was a little concerned in the beginning that there wouldn't be enough liquid, but after the eggplant cooked down and released all its juice, the chili was the perfect consistancy. I simmered for about an hour and a half instead of 2 hours. Did not need flour or sugar. Using 93% ground beef or ground turkey, it's 5 WW PPV for 6 servings. 8 PPV for 4 GENEROUS servings. This will definitely be a staple in my menu rotation!
we loved this! i wanted to make chili, and i had an eggplant that needed to be used today! i typed in eggplant chili. it was great! i made it exactly as written. this is a keeper! thanks, ratherbeswimmin'!