Prep 45 mins
Cook 55 mins
This isn't authentic by any means but it is a nice no-meat casserole that is good for a family dinner.
- 5 cups water
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped canned green chilies
- hot sauce, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cracker crumb
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- commercial picante sauce or salsa
- Add water to a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Add in eggplant and onion; cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain well; set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together eggs, green chiles, hot sauce, cheddar cheese, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Add in eggplant mixture; beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- Spoon mixture into a 1-quart casserole that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together the cracker crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 45 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Serve with picante or salsa.