An adapted recipe that originated from Hotel Maison de Ville, New Orlean, Louisiana. This is a dream for eggplant and olive lovers--like me. Can be used as an appetizer, light lunch or supper.
- 1 large eggplant
- 44.37 ml finely chopped onions
- 78.07 ml chopped tomato
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh basil
- 2.46-4.92 ml minced garlic
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 1.23 ml salt, to taste
- 1.23 ml pepper, to taste
- French bread, sliced toasted
- 177.44 ml Greek olive, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 14.79 ml capers
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard
- To make Tapenade: mix together all the ingredients and set aside.
- To make caviar: Prick the eggplant with a fork several times.
- Put eggplant on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until skin starts to darken and pulp feels soft.
- Let eggplant cool.
- Peel the eggplant and chop into coarse chunks.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chopped eggplant and the next 9 ingredients.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve the caviar with tapenade and toasted french bread.