Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posting for ZWT German Prep time includes drain time (30 mins)
- 1 large eggplant, about 1 1/2 pound unpeeled and halved lengthwise
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 small onion, minced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minceds about 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, drained rinsed and patted dry if jarred chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.Score the cut sides of the eggplant about 1 inch deep. Drizzle the scored sides of the eggplant with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the eggplant cut side down on the prepared baking sheet- roast until the eggplant is very soft, the skin is shriveled and shrunken, and a knife piercing the flesh meets no resistance, about 1 hour. Let the eggplant cool until able to handle, about 5 minutes.
- Set a small colander over a bowl (or in the sink). Use a spoon to scoop the hot eggplant pulp out of the skins into the colander; discard the skins. Scrape up any eggplant that has stuck to the foil and add it to the colander. Let the pulp drain for 30 minutes. Transfer the eggplant pulp to a cutting board and chop coarse; transfer the chopped eggplant to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 2 more tablespoons of the oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion - cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic - cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste - cook until the mixture deepens in color slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped eggplant and cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes longer.
- Move the eggplant mixture to a serving bowl. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, and red peppers, - season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Stir in the dill and season again with salt and pepper before serving.