1/1 Photo of Eggplant Caviar
1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from my local newspaper as a replacement for the too expensive Beluga caviar. I don't personally like caviar, but my husband does. I am posting this as a "private" recipe. If you are seeing it, then he must have liked it. If you can't find Greek yogurt, you can strain regular yogurt through cheesecloth until it is thickened and almost cheese-like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 5 anchovy fillets (or 1 tablespoon anchovy paste)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish
- toast points or toasted pita bread, wedges
- chopped hard-cooked egg
- chopped red onion
- Greek yogurt
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Puncture the eggplant all around with a sharp knife. Place on a baking sheet or shallow baking dish and bake about 1 1/2 hours until it is very soft.
- 2Meanwhile soak anchovy fillets in cold water for about 10 minutes. Pat dry and smash with a fork. Place anchovy in a large bowl; add garlic, shallot, capers and pepper. Add a tablespoon olive oil and mix. Set aside.
- 3Once eggplant is done, allow to rest until is cool enough to handle. Cut open and scoop out the pulp into a large strainer. Scrape the inside of the skin with a spoon to remove all the pulp. Press pulp into strainer to remove as much moisture as you can. Let drain about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board; chop fine.
- 4Place chopped eggplant in the bowl with the other ingredients and mix well. Add remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and mix until smooth. Add lemon juice to taste and salt to taste. Spoon into a serving bowl and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- 5Place egg in a small serving bowl; red onion in another small bowl; capers in another bowl; and Greek yogurt in still another small bowl. Serve with toast or pita wedges.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant Caviar
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 114.7
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 2.8 mg
- Sodium 189.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 2.1 g