Recipe by twissis
This dish is being posted for ZWT. I'm fond of eggplant & lamb, so I was esp pleased to find this on the net & not find this particular version here on RZ. I was also more than just a little surprised to see cheddar cheese as an ingredient rather than the more to be expected feta cheese. The recipe source is Greek-Recipe.com, who acknowledged Bitsyskitchen.com. (PLS NOTE: As originally written, this recipe directs you to boil the eggplant. I had never heard of doing that & neither had my expert source, so I amended the eggplant cooking method as detailed.)
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This is an awesome eggplant casserole. I used ground beef as the recipe allowed and the only other change I made was to add a few more mushrooms and a little extra tomato sauce. I absolutely love eggplant and I will definitely make this dish again -- going into my Best of 2016 file.
- 1 large eggplant (cubed)
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb ground lamb (or beef)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 2 slices bread (cubed)
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a lrg skillet, sauté eggplant cubes in a sml amt of olive oil till slightly fork tender & set aside in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, brown lamb meat & add the onion, green pepper & mushrooms. Cont to sauté till vegetables soften.
- Season w/1 tsp salt, sugar & pepper. Add bread, tomato sauce & cheese. Add eggplant & mix well.
- Put mixture in 3 qt covered casserole. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Remove cover & bake at 375 F for 15 minutes or till nicely browned.