Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This dish is being posted for ZWT. I'm fond of eggplant & lamb, so I was esp pleased to find this on the net & not find this particular version here on RZ. I was also more than just a little surprised to see cheddar cheese as an ingredient rather than the more to be expected feta cheese. The recipe source is Greek-Recipe.com, who acknowledged Bitsyskitchen.com. (PLS NOTE: As originally written, this recipe directs you to boil the eggplant. I had never heard of doing that & neither had my expert source, so I amended the eggplant cooking method as detailed.)
- 1 large eggplant (cubed)
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb ground lamb (or beef)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium red onion (chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 2 slices bread (cubed)
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced) (optional)
- In a lrg skillet, sauté eggplant cubes in a sml amt of olive oil till slightly fork tender & set aside in a bowl.
- In the same skillet, brown lamb meat & add the onion, green pepper & mushrooms. Cont to sauté till vegetables soften.
- Season w/1 tsp salt, sugar & pepper. Add bread, tomato sauce & cheese. Add eggplant & mix well.
- Put mixture in 3 qt covered casserole. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Remove cover & bake at 375 F for 15 minutes or till nicely browned.
We love this! Made 3 changes to the original. Used a full 8 oz can of tomato sauce, sub in roasted red peppers for green bell, and use wild rice instead of the bread. My 13 yr old DD says this is her favorite meal!
This is one of two eggplant casseroles (the other one is Lightly Toasted's Eggplant (Aubergine) Fit for a Sheik (Sheik Al Mihshee)) that I've tried on 'Zaar and really love. I just finished reviewing that one and realized I'd never rated this one, nor thanked you for sharing the recipe! Like other reviewers, I used 8 ounces of tomato sauce and 4 slices of bread, and a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg. I've made a note to try this with summer squash as well. Both I and my dear partner really enjoyed this!
This was a fantastic hit here, well-loved all around. We increased the tomato sauce and bread as another reviewer mentioned. Thanks for sharing. We raise sheep and are always on the lookout for a new lamb recipe. We have definitely found a keeper in this one.